>:

> All,
>
> I'm cross-posting dev@ and users@, but please only reply to dev@ if
> you'd like to get involved in this discussion.
>
> I'd like to openly-discuss r1702765 [1]. There have been some
> complaints on both users@ and dev@ and some BZ issues filed against
> Tomcat 8.5 and 9.0 for removing the reason phrase. It happened in
> r1702765 with no referenced BZ issue and was first released with
> Tomcat 8.5.0 -- the initial release of Tomcat 8.5 -- as well as 9.0.0.M1
> .
>
> This issue doesn't really affect me, but some recent conversations
> about the "stability" (in terms of "things not changing") of Tomcat
> have me thinking about the implications of making this change in
> Tomcat 8.5.x and not in just Tomcat 9.0.x.
>
> It is well-known within this community that Tomcat 8.0.x and Tomcat
> 8.5.x are distinct versions, but since the major version number is the
> same, many have expectations that nothing serious is going to change.
> Of course, 8.5.x has *many* serious changes to it with respect to
> Tomcat 8.0.x. But this one seems to be tripping a lot of people up.

- 8.5 is already changing a number of things (since it's supposed to be 9,
so it's normal).
- the clients we're talking about are ancient.
- I only saw "a few" people affected, not "a lot".

It's better to avoid breaking things, but I don't see the benefit of
reverting it or bothering with an option.

Rémy