Am 25.01.2017 um 11:09 schrieb Rainer Jung:
Am 24.01.2017 um 21:03 schrieb Mark Thomas:

I'm wondering what the wider community thinks about this change and
whether or not we should consider reverting it for Tomcat 8.5.x.

8.5.x has been out for 10 months and stable for 7. It is probably still
early enough that we are seeing issues from the early adopters. We
might, therefore, see more issues moving forwards.

This change is listed in the change-log for 8.5.0.

The root cause is non-specification compliant clients. I generally don't
view specification non-compliance in third party code a good reason to
make a change in Tomcat.

Overall I am -0 on reverting the change for 8.5.x.

For 8.5 we should be aware of the fact, that 8.5 was meant as a quick
replacement for 8.0 with a reduced support time for 8.0. We also used
wording like "superseded" on the "Which version" page and probably the
overall impression is people should soon switch from 8.0 to 8.5 and the
switch is an easy one to do as long as you do not start to use the new
features.

Dropping the reason phrase probably is mostly motivated by the new
language "A client SHOULD ignore the reason-phrase content." in RFC 7230
section 3.1.2. Although also the older RFC 2616 already allowed an empty
reason phrase "Reason-Phrase  = *<TEXT, excluding CR, LF>" the language
was less strict: "The client is not required to examine or display the
Reason-Phrase.".

IMHO it was only later that servers actually started to drop the reason
phrase to save a few bytes. Originally it was deemed useful as the old
spec states "The Reason-Phrase is intended to give a short textual
description of the Status-Code. The ... Reason-Phrase is intended for
the human user."

The compatibility break with clients who do not confirm to the newer
http spec and instead demand the reason phrase will break any
communication with them. It is not a "be strict in what you send"
situation for us as a server, because the spec does not require us to
send an empty reason phrase.

So given the fact that there's no workaround for people who need to
support clients which require a non-empty reason phrase and also that
our story for users of 8.0 is to migrate soon and easy to 8.5, I would
be +1 for a configurable option to bring back reason phrases. Default
would be "no reason phrases".

I forgot: an option only for 8.5. Dropping it in 9.0 is fine for me.