Mark Thomas wrote:
> The root cause is non-specification compliant clients. I generally don't
> view specification non-compliance in third party code a good reason to
> make a change in Tomcat.
>
> Overall I am -0 on reverting the change for 8.5.x.

I'm not a big Tomcat contributor, but I do work on various things, and
have spent a long time working on web browsers and web standards.

I'd be a -0 at best.

A /moderately/ quick search found a server that would return a 200
with text other than "OK"
In addition to the "200 Tunnel established" that I found and linked to,
boa would occasionally spit out "HTTP/1.0 200 OK-GUNZIP" which may or
may not have been compatible with quirky clients that expect "200 OK".

Note that a well behaved client (e.g. a browser) tolerated 200
WHATEVER at the beginning of time. I can't easily go to before Gecko
moved to HG, but by then, it was certainly tolerant. And I'm fairly
confident it was by the time it was open sourced... I vaguely recall
writing web servers which had other messages, and I think I even saw
servers that did (~15 years ago).

HTTP/2 apparently doesn't include a status message (which is
presumably why Tomcat is dropping it in the first place).

Clients in the real world have to update in order to interact with
modern servers. If your client doesn't support SSL, it will soon be
unable to access most resources. If it doesn't support TLS, likewise.
If it only supports SHA1, it's in a similar boat. And of course, if
your useragent doesn't periodically update its CA list, it will
eventually not be able to connect to web servers.

I recently forced the people in my office to update Java to get
current certificates.

By forcing bad clients to fix their stuff sooner, you're doing the
world a favor.