On 20 déc. 2011, at 12:22, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Where I disagree is on whether a switch to Maven lowers that barrier to
> entry. I agree it lowers it for folks that already know Maven but don't
> know Ant but that it raises it for folks that know Ant but don't know Maven.

Knowing ant does not mean knowing how to build a particular project. That's the
big drawback of ant over maven : there's no convention/standard way of doing
things.
IMHO knowing maven is worth the investment and can be applied to so many
projects that the return on investment is quite quick.

Regarding maven for tomcat, I think it would lower the barrier of entry for new
developers. In a perfect maven scenario, a developer would checkout tomcat
sources in its IDE, wait for the dependencies to be downloaded and have a
workspace ready to hack into tomcat using standard maven commands.

so, I'm +1 to support any experiments around maven and then judge on the
results.

Sylvain