On 02/09/2014 20:28, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> In July I successfully configured Git to operate on the same set of
> files as Subversion, on Windows.

Neat.

I use completely separate git and svn checkouts and swap between them as
the mood suits me. As I get more familiar with git then I am using git
more. Generally the only time when I have issues is when I try and take
a short cut and do git development directly on trunk and then realise
the issue is more complex and I really should be using a branch.

> Impressions etc.
> ========
> 1. Such workflow works. It is great for building up experience with the tool.
>
> It also allows us to discuss Mark's "a) decide how we want to organise
> development in git"  point, without actually moving to Git.
>
> I think I can document it on a Wiki page, if others are interested.

My impression is that it is more complex to set up than [1] and might
make folks think git is more difficult to work with than it really is.

> 2. An annoying fact is that the Git repository at git.apache.org lags
> for up to one hour behind the Subversion one.
>
> The symptoms are as if the "git svn pull" is performed via some cron
> job, instead of a postcommit hook or svn-pub-sub.  I wonder whether
> the Infra team can make it work better.

The sync from svn to the git.a.o is based on svn-pub-sub and is meant to
be close to real time. The replication it github is less frequent.
Obviously this would cease to be an issue if we moved to git (note there
is no git -> svn process to keep the old svn repo up to date).

> 3. I would like to commit my ".git/info/attributes" file as
> ".gitattributes" into Subversion.

Can you put that file somewhere where others can take a look at it first?

> 4. My impression is that Git works slower.

My impression has been the opposite. git-svn is a little slower than
just svn but that is expected since there is an extra layer. When I use
git at work (with github) things seem very quick.

> My points from the previous thread on this topic:
> http://markmail.org/message/m7ig5a7wunyewdy6
>
> Areas where we depend on Subversion and need to implement a fix before the
> move:
> 1). There is svn externals reference from Tomcat Native to Tomcat Trunk.
>
> (Does it mean that we have to migrate TC Native to Git at the same time?
> Can we remove this svn externals reference?)

We'd move Tomcat Native at the same time. There are equivalent features
we can use to continue to use something svn external like. [2]

> 2). svn revision numbers are used by the config difference form in the
> Migration guide.
> http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-8.html#Upgrading_8.0.x
>
> (Is it possible to replace it with links to similar Git tools, e.g. to
> "compare" pages on GitHub? Does HTML GUI at git.apache.org have
> similar history and compare pages?)

I'm sure we could come up with something.

> 3). The plan to create a Maven build (BZ 56397) relies on svn externals.
> (I think it is time to abandon the idea.)

I'm happy to leave this open for now. We could do this using one of the
ideas in [2].

> 6. Maybe move away modules/bayeux  and modules/tomcat-lite  ?

My expectation was that these would be left behind in svn.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/571232/svnexternals-equivalent-in-git