> On Nov 10, 2022, at 10:34 PM, Richard Zowalla <r...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Currently, it is not possible with Jenkins to run jobs from forked
> repositories or for contributors, who do not have committer access to
> the TomEE repositories.

Thanks for getting that confirmed.

> However, they are discussing the possibility of having temporary nodes
> (on k8s) in the future, so these (security) restrictions can be
> dropped.
>
> Another possibility would be to explore the use of GitHub actions for
> running or (quick) tests in a PR build. I remember, that we
> experimented with it in the past and it wasn't a good option due to
> limitations / timing / resources. Maybe time to revisit and try the
> "quick" build for PRs / commits again?

Speaking for myself only, I personally would not want to see PRs merged with
only a quick build.  I always do a quick build before pushing any code and I
routinely break the build.

Similarly, I don't like to merge PRs that do not have full clean build as I
would feel it's my responsibility to find/fix any issues they caused.  Library
upgrades in particular more often than not break something in the build, so
definitely need a full build before merging.

> The workaround is to push the branch to the asf repo and let it build
> (as we are doing it).

Along these lines, we should be able to setup a manually run PR builder where
we just enter the PR number and it does the rest.

The git portions might have to be a shell script, but it should be a little
better than having to make an entire job definition for one PR (and also having
to delete those old job definitions later)

I don't really have the time to work on anything like that now, but seems
promising if someone wanted to volunteer.  Theoretically, anyone with access to
a jenkins install could try it out, get something that works and then we can
set it up in the Apache install.

-David