> Not to keep the can of worms open, but could a happy medium an alternative
> here be to add a new section to our API responses at the same level as
> "response" that we could add new/breaking stuff to in the current API version?

That is an interesting idea, but I think that would make the API more
complex overall and wouldn't actually save us from a new major version
in the long-run once we move the "unstable" section to the "response"
section. Letting TO API 4.0 remain unstable for another release cycle
allows us to keep the API simple (and make it simpler, really) while
also not introducing a new major API version.

@RobButts would you be willing to let us keep TO API 4.0 unstable for
this upcoming release cycle and decide after if we should try it again
in the future?

- Rawlin