Luciano Resende wrote:
On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Simon Nash <n...@apache.org> wrote:
I've looked at the modules, samples and tools directories as released
in 1.6, and I've also looked at the contents of the maven repo.

The position is a bit less clear cut than I was expecting because
many of the modules that were excluded from the binary distro in 1.6
are present in the maven repo.  This creates some ambiguity about
whether these modules are in the "released" or "unreleased" category.
I have listed these ambiguities below, together with proposals for
resolving the ambiguity.

The following things are in the 1.6 source tree under "modules", are
in the default build, and have 1.6 versions present in the maven repo,
but are omitted from the 1.6 binary distribution:
 binding-atom-js-dojo
 binding-erlang
 binding-erlang-runtime
 binding-sca-corba
 binding-sca-jms
 contribution-jee-impl
 databinding-fastinfoset
 databinding-xstream
 extensibility-equinox
 host-corba-jee
 host-ejb
 host-openejb
 host-tomcat
 implementation-widget-runtime-dojo
 node-launcher-osgi
 policy-transaction
 web-javascript-dojo
 workspace-manager
I believe these are intended to be "unreleased" but ended up in the
maven repo because they are part of the default build.  For 1.6.1
I propose to delete all of these from the release branch and not
include them in the binary distro or the maven repo.

A good source of information for 1.6 can be :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Release+-+Java+SCA+1.6

The *-dojo modules should not be removed. There is an issue if we have
both javascript frameworks on the binary distro and how we choose the
default one. I believe a very similar issue happens with
binding-sca-corba and binding-sca-jms extensions and host-tomcat.

The earlang extensions have an issue that you have to install earlang
first, before you can do much with it. But other then that, it should
be good to stay.

The following things are in the 1.6 source tree under "tools", are
in the default build, and have 1.6 versions present in the maven repo,
but are omitted from the 1.6 binary distribution:
 contrib2wsdl
 eclipse/features/core
 eclipse/plugins/core
 eclipse/site/updatesite

This is not part of the binary distro, but the main contents of the
"Tuscany update site" which is used to install the Tuscany Eclipse
Plugins
http://www.apache.org/dist/tuscany/java/sca/1.6/tuscany-sca-1.6-updatesite/

 java2wsdl
 maven/maven-ant-generator
 maven/maven-bundle-plugin
 maven/maven-dependency-lister
 maven/maven-incremental-build
 maven/maven-java2wsdl
 maven/maven-wsdl2java
I believe these are intended to be "released" to the maven repo only
and not included in the binary distro.  For 1.6.1 I propose to keep
all of these in the release branch and deploy them to the maven repo,
but not include them in the binary distro.

Yes, These Tuscany maven plugins are released as maven artifacts only.

The following things are in the 1.6 source tree under "samples" and
are in the default build, but are omitted from the 1.6 binary distro
and don't appear in the maven repo (just as none of the other samples
appear in the maven repo):
 calculator-lean
 calculator-ws-secure-webapp
 customer-dojo
 customer-dojo-webapp

I don't have any strong feelings about customer-dojo-*. They
demonstrate a customer service integrated with JPA and then providing
information back to ui via WEB 2.0 bindings... but other then the
internals, the UI does not do much.

 helloworld-erlang-reference
 helloworld-erlang-service

Similar answer as the one above related to the earlang extensions. So
I'd leave it.

 helloworld-jms-webapp
 helloworld-ws-reference-lean
 loanapplication
 store-dojo

store-dojo is not in the binary distro because the xxx-dojo extensions
can't be part of it either. But other then that is ready for
distribution.

I believe these are intended to be "unreleased".  For 1.6.1 I propose
to delete all of these from the release branch not include them in
the binary distro or the maven repo.

The following things are in the 1.6 source tree but aren't included
in the binary distribution, the default build, or the maven repo:
 modules/binding-hessian
 tools/maven/maven-osgi-junit
 samples/domain-webapp
 samples/zipcode-jaxws
I believe these are intended to be "unreleased".  For 1.6.1 I propose
to delete all of these from the release branch and not include them in
the binary distro or the maven repo.

Have I put all of the above into the "released" and "unreleased"
categories correctly?

 Simon

Well, sorry if I missed any :) Anyway, [1] should give you more info
about the 1.6.x branch status... now, if we talk about trunk, it's a
totally different issue :).

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Release+-+Java+SCA+1.6

Thanks for all this very useful information and the pointer to [1].
I think it would be useful to summarize these release packaging
considerations somewhere in the release documentation (maybe
RELEASE_NOTES).  Also I will prepare a similar page to [1] for
1.6.1.

  Simon