On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Simon Nash <n...@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks for reviewing the checklist.  See comments inline below.
>
>  Simon
>
> Florian Moga wrote:
>>
>> The checklist is looking good until now. I think that if we want to
>> enforce a consistent feel over the samples we should agree on build tool,
>> dependencies and launcher before considering the checklist final.
>>
>> I would say let's stick with Maven for now, Apache Ant adds complexity and
>> requires time to find an elegant way of writing a script which we don't
>> afford now.
>
> I think we also need to show people how to build samples using the
> binary distribution without needing to download additional modules.
> This is the reason why we have previously provided ant scripts for
> building the samples.  I don't think it's necessary for every sample
> to have an ant script, but at least some of them should have one.

+1, we should definitely have a way to build run from the distribution.

>> As for how dependencies are declared, you've got much more experience with
>> Tuscany to weight the pros and cons for each approach but I think we should
>> use the one we consider best practice and present that to the user. For me
>> base+extensions seems to be the way to go as it looks more loosely coupled
>> and there's been the big effort of adding that in Beta1.
>>
>> Regarding the launcher, I have already expressed my opinion a couple of
>> times but haven't seen any comments so I guess we're fine with the shell?
>>
> This is probably OK for developers but it isn't suitable for deploying
> or embedding Tuscany.  I think it's important that we include ant scripts
> for running some of the samples so that people know how to run Tuscany in
> a production or embedded environment.

+1, we should have a way to demonstrate ho to build and/or run in
production like environments, OSGi, etc

I'll take a look at the wiki tonight and tomorrow and provide more feedback.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende