Btw,

I would not completely disregard Java as a platform if you think it
doesn't scale on resource constraint devices. For instance SheevaPlug
devices [1] can be ordered with an accompanying J9 VM and a ProSyst
OSGi R4 framework [2] and I suppose both scales pretty well on those
devices.

[1] http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-sheevaplugdetails.aspx#component
[2]
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-27-osgi-jvm-add-on-for-sheevaplug-dev-kit-on-sd-card.aspx