On Sunday, December 15, 2019 9:03:43 PM MST Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com> said:
>
> > This change is about testing those ISO images, and whether or not those
> > ISO  images are release-blocking. If it's not a valid CD image (meaning
> > it wouldn't boot when put into a real disk drive), it most likely
> > wouldn't work in the virtual CD images.
>

> No, it is just about not writing those ISO images to physical media for
> testing.  The ISO images will still be blocking deliverables.  Testing
> of ISOs is easy and can be done automated.  Testing of physical media
> requires time.
>

> > This also doesn't solve anything for the users
> > that have first or second generation UEFI systems, or those with UEFI
> > firmware  provided by a vendor, that doesn't support USB boot.
>

> So again, if UEFI boot doesn't work, don't use it?  I tried UEFI boot
> with an early generation, and it had multiple issues, so I stuck with
> BIOS boot for a while longer.  There's nothing in Fedora that requires
> UEFI boot.

I didn't say that anything in Fedora required UEFI boot. For example, none of
my systems that run GNU/Linux actually have UEFI. However, there are a number
of systems that don't support booting from USB in UEFI or BIOS, or only
implement UEFI and not BIOS, or only BIOS and not UEFI but don't have USB
support. It's not a solution to simply say "Go grab this third party software
to bootstrap your Fedora installation". Put on the user hat for a minute and
think about how this actually affects those users.

> > Instead of trying to attack CD/DVD installs, why not keep what's working
> > in  the state it's already in?
>

> Because it's a time-consuming and manual process, and resources are
> limited?

I've outlined how much time it takes. I'd happily take on that responsibility
myself, but we need to make sure we're not kneecapping users for no real
reason.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity