On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 7:55 PM Ryan Walklin <r...@testtoast.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, at 1:45 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
> > The netinstall:
> > * is not usable offline,
> > * in particular, is a pain to set up if all you have is a WPA-protected
> >   WLAN,
> > * or in particular, will not work at all if your WiFi chipset requires a
> >   non-upstream (either proprietary, or not submitted upstream yet, or stuck
> >   in staging) driver,
>
> As a tangent. this is pretty annoying, even when installing from USB I have
> to manually go out and grab firmware and NetworkManager packages for my
> laptop. Even worse they seem to be installed on the live images themselves
> and so WiFi works in Anaconda but not in the installed system.

That sounds like two bugs, each needing their own bug reports:
a. the difference in wifi firmware offerings between netinstall and Live
b. that it works on Live but not once installed from Live (this is an
rsync copy, with an immutable RPM database so it's not likely a case
of missing firmware, maybe some NetworkManager bug or some problem
with a kernel module not loading or a race that only happens on the
installed systems? Needs troubleshooting comparing Live and installed
boots.

Feel free to post URLs for this on desktop@ list.

Some wifi hardware requires firmware with license restrictions
preventing including in Fedora (I'm looking at Broadcom) but that's a
known problem with not many good work arounds.
https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/116

--
Chris Murphy