Ryan Walklin wrote:
> Those are pretty vague references to old workstations and servers rather
> than specific make/model. Can you not use a generic rescue DVD/CD running
> something like rEFInd http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind to then actually
> boot from USB? Then you wouldn't have to faff keeping your optical media
> up to date anyway.

Surely that is not an officially supported (by Fedora) boot method and as
such can also break at any time. And some of the bugs that prevent booting
directly from optical media will also prevent booting from such a setup.
(E.g., if it is the fact that there is an optical media inserted that
confuses the listing of potential target devices in Anaconda.)

> As a tangent. this is pretty annoying, even when installing from USB I
> have to manually go out and grab firmware and NetworkManager packages for
> my laptop. Even worse they seem to be installed on the live images
> themselves and so WiFi works in Anaconda but not in the installed system.

I don't really see how that can happen. The liveinst mode of Anaconda just
rsyncs everything that is installed on the live image to the target disk. It
is not going to exclude firmware or any other installed packages. (Not even
Anaconda itself, despite it not being needed on the installed system.)

        Kevin Kofler