> I can provide an example or two, but I'd rather not waste time compiling a
> list. A good example, any server using iDRAC6,7,8 or 9, such as a PowerEdge
> R440. These are in the interesting edge case that I mentioned, where it
> supports USB boot if you physically connect a USB drive, but you can't use
> USB
> images over the iDRAC. An example of a system that cannot boot from USB at
> all
> is a ThinkPad T400, running default boot firmware, which is what most users
> that own that laptop would have.

I don't have experience with either system, but as Chris points out, virtual CD
ISOs seem to work. A quick google suggests the ThinkPad T400 can both boot and
upgrade its firmware/BIOS via USB.

> > Can you not use a generic rescue DVD/CD running
> > something like rEFInd http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind to then actually boot
> > from USB? Then you wouldn't have to faff keeping your optical media up to
> > date anyway.
>
> I have no idea whether or not that'd work, but I generally don't mess around
> with random tools like that to try to get something to boot.

It's a combination of the standard TianoCore/ED2K UEFI implementation with a
handy UI/boot menu. I'm just making the point that you can use a combination of
a rescue CD which doesn't need to be constantly upgraded and a USB-based OS
install if you need to reinstall with physical media.