On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, at 1:39 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:

> Please see the examples cited earlier in the thread, of systems that cannot
> be
> installed from USB.

Those are pretty vague references to old workstations and servers rather than
specific make/model. Can you not use a generic rescue DVD/CD running something
like rEFInd http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind to then actually boot from USB?
Then you wouldn't have to faff keeping your optical media up to date anyway.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/43221-GRUB-2-A-Guide-for-Users/page14?p=376838&viewfull=1#post376838

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, at 1:45 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> The netinstall:
> * is not usable offline,
> * in particular, is a pain to set up if all you have is a WPA-protected
>   WLAN,
> * or in particular, will not work at all if your WiFi chipset requires a
>   non-upstream (either proprietary, or not submitted upstream yet, or stuck
>   in staging) driver,

As a tangent. this is pretty annoying, even when installing from USB I have to
manually go out and grab firmware and NetworkManager packages for my laptop.
Even worse they seem to be installed on the live images themselves and so WiFi
works in Anaconda but not in the installed system.