On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 03:42:05PM +0000, Gargoyle wrote:
>       - Available for testing from F33 onwards.
>       - Default in F34 with compatibility library.

It needs to be readily available for testing in F(n-1) for a complete
release cycle before it can be made the default in F(n).

This is _very_ important to get right.  Folks are still trashing Pulse
Audio (and its creator) *to this day* for Ubuntu's half-assed PA
integration from over a decade ago.

>       - Active support/development of the compatibility library ends with F36.

Support/development of the compatibility layer needs to continue
indefinitely, and certainly a lot longer than one year (ie the F(n)->F(n+2)
cycle)

> It would also be worth investigating what would be involved in getting some
> key software switched over to the new API by way of a showcase.

Showcase, sure, but there's a long, long, long tail of barely-maintained
software in use that won't get updated to use PW natively anytime soon.
If ever.

FFS, most of the software I use today doesn't even use PA directly; it
uses ALSA, which gets routed to PA via an ALSA plugin.  Compatibility
APIs must me maintained nearly indefinitely!

Meanwhile, as another data point, softare that was written using the
sound API included with the first Win32 implementation (ie Windows NT
3.1) will still generate sound with current Windows 10 builds, *27*
years later.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)