On 22/11/2020 16:12, Solomon Peachy wrote:

Showcase, sure, but there's a long, long, long tail of barely-maintained
software in use that won't get updated to use PW natively anytime soon.
If ever.

FFS, most of the software I use today doesn't even use PA directly; it
uses ALSA, which gets routed to PA via an ALSA plugin.  Compatibility
APIs must me maintained nearly indefinitely!

Nope. I couldn't disagree more. If there's a long tail of unmaintained software without commercial gains, then it should be left to die in the great software graveyard. Feel free to keep a copy of F32 kicking around for when you want to run it, but it should not be a reason to stifle progress.

Meanwhile, as another data point, softare that was written using the
sound API included with the first Win32 implementation (ie Windows NT
3.1) will still generate sound with current Windows 10 builds, *27*
years later.

Yes. And Microsoft get paid a lot of money to build it that way. There's a commercial gain to be had justifying employing people to keep that compatibility going.