On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 15:47:04 +0100
Andy Mender <andymenderu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is ALSA still a valid use case? I thought ALSA support was phased out
> from most relevant software?

It is for me.  I run some audio software that I do not want interrupted
while it is running.  So, I use pavucontrol to turn it off to pulse and
make it available only to alsa.  Then, I can directly configure, send
commands to, and use the sound device, ignored by pulse.  As near as I
can tell, it is still available in audacity, as well.

alsa is going nowhere since it is the interface to the hardware that
every other sound application depends on.  It is mature so it should
take very little maintenance to allow it to remain.