On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 06:01:18PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 11/20/20 5:26 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
>
> > The pulseaudio package will be uninstalled and pipewire-pulse will be
> > installed.
> >
> > pipewire-pulse does not yet implement all the features of pulseaudio
> > but it is expected that
> > comparable functionality will be implemented later. Most notable
> > features that are likely
> > not going to be available for fedora 34
> IMO, this alone disqualifies this plan.
>
> Fedora should be a stable end-user distro and not a testing site for eager
> devs to test their immature and incomplete works.

  I think Fedora should establish strong "no regressions" rule when
replacing system software like this.  PulseAudio has had 15 years of
development, features and fixes.  It is hard to believe pipewire is as
capable as a replacement now.

  Of course we would need to start with collecting the use cases, and
this will be different for every user.  For example, I frequently use my
laptop with 3 sound devices present: built-in speakers, speakers
connected to USB-C dock and bluetooth headphones*.  I use pavucontrol to
route applications to proper output/input and I expect this to work the
same with PW.  This is important to me.

  On the other hand, I do not use AC3 passthrough when watching movies
and I'm not so much interested in power saving through dynamic
latency/timers adjustment and suspending outputs.  If this ceased to
work, _I_ wouldn't notice.  But for someone this may be crucial. The
same for equalizer modules. Or volume ramp up. Or multiple device
combining. And so on.

  Right now "How to test" section of Change Proposal contains only very
rudimentary cases like "check if rhythmbox plays".  This is not enough
when replacing as potent software as PulseAudio.

* - for some BT codecs I need pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-freeworld

--
Tomasz Torcz                “Funeral in the morning, IDE hacking
to...@pipebreaker.pl         in the afternoon and evening.” - Alan Cox