On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 at 15:17, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 02:51:45PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > It would be interesting if we had a set of use cases Fedora Server
> > actually solves.  So far in this thread we've seen people use it, but
> > it reads to me like they use it to get a boiled down installation of
> > Fedora.  So is Fedora Server just a convenient way to get a quick and
> > simple Fedora installation (e.g. you're using it because it's
> > *Fedora*), or do people actually use it for traditional server use
> > cases.
> >
> > For those using it for traditional server use cases, why?  What about
> > it do you find better than something like CentOS?
>
> Yeah, this is absolutely another valuable idea. The Use Cases and Personas
> at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Product_Requirements_Document#User_Profiles.2C_Primary_Use_Cases_and_Goals
> were created *seven* years ago and reflect aspiration, not nessarily
> reality. So it would be very valuable for interested people to update that
> to reflect both actual current use and the current aspirations.

Anecdata which is as 'useful' as any other.

Most of the people I have dealt with in the last 4 years with Server have
been using it mainly as a replacement for the Everything DVD and because it
was the most 'un-opinionated' release of Fedora. It wasn't actually being
used in any more of a server release as much as a 'get out of my way' while
still using Fedora.

For the people who were using it as servers, it was split between getting
ready for the next RHEL/CentOS they would be deploying, they needed
packages which were not in EPEL, or things like python/nodejs/etc was new
enough for what they needed to run but wasn't in EL8.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader