The datatype engine (where the arch code was originally from), needs a way to describe the architectures in order to know how to convert the data. Therefore I will advocate the return of the opal/util/arch.h back in the datatype.

  george.

On Jun 2, 2009, at 07:24 , Rainer Keller wrote:

Hi Jeff,
no, that's not an issue. The comment is correct: For any Fortran integer*kind we need to have _some_ C-representation as well, otherwise we disregard the
type (tm), see e.g. the old  and resolved ticket #1094.
The representation chosen is set in opal/util/arch.c and is conclusive as far
as I can tell...

We do however still have a buglet with FCFLAGS='-i8 -r16', but that's with our internal storage of [cdw]_f_to_c_index, so it's a different issue (ticket
#1812).

CU,
Rainer

PS: I especially like the comment in opal/util/arch.c ;-):
   /* sizeof fortran logical
    *
    * RHC: technically, use of the ompi_ prefix is
    * an abstraction violation. However, this is actually
    * an error in our configure scripts that transcends
    * all the data types and eventually should be fixed.
    * The guilty part is f77_check.m4. Fixing it right
    * now is beyond a reasonable scope - this comment is
    * placed here to explain the abstraction break and
    * indicate that it will eventually be fixed
    */