I'm not entirely sure what comment is being discussed. The comment in
opal/util/arch.c (written by me long ago) should not be taken seriously - it
was nothing more than a half-hearted attempt to appease the stormy
controversy (mostly objections from George and a little from Brian) created
by my moving this code to OPAL. It had no technical validity behind it at
all.

Somewhat amusing to see that comment now used as justification for leaving
the code there by some of the same people. ;-)

The question of whether or not we accurately deal with Fortran variable
sizes was always present, even when this code was in the OMPI layer. It is a
tad troublesome as Fortran advocates -do- occasionally set the flags that
can cause the variables to differ from their C counterparts. Rather than
some obscure comment in the source code, we should probably generate a
warning and (hopefully) abort when someone uses those flags to avoid
creating hard-to-debug errors.