My concern was that once the case arises (and IMHO 'doing something' was
definitely an option) we can't just make up rules to fit the situation. People
need to know in advance both what the guidelines are and what the response will
be.

Agree with this.

However it is possible that as this community increases, and becomes less of a
small intimate family, then the need for moderation may grow.

For subscribers I see moderation as a possible step (after a warning) to enforce
civil behaviour. The downside is that assessing any messages is subjective and
time-consuming.

I think I'd go for a series of escalating short-duration bans: 1d, 2d, 1w,
permanent ban (if someone is still ranting after a week long ban then nothing is
going to stop them).

Resubscription after that would be at the communities discression somehow.

I personally don't think this should be just Jolla's call either. Whilst I
expect sailors to be involved I can see a time when the community wants to have
a rant at Jolla and it would be good for Jolla not to have a majority vote :)

Who *does* get that say and how they're chosen I don't know. I certainly see it
more as a rare but difficult chore than a power trip though.

I agree with Ville's position and would propose to put on next community meeting a topic that more or less sounds like "Common common sense in this community".

Still what David Greaves pointed at at the beginning of this thread [1] still makes a lot of (common) sense:

    Be considerate
    Be respectful
    Be collaborative
    Be pragmatic
    Support others in the community
    Get support from others in the community

David
PS if anyone suggests we elect a council for this I may just unsubscribe... ;)

Why don't we elect a... *cough* :D

Stefano

[1] http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct/