David Dawes writes:
 > On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

 > >> Bugzilla is best.  That way other people in the community can
 > >> also see the patches and possibly use them.  If you send them to
 > >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] then most likely what
 > >> will happen is one of the following scenarios:
 > >>
 > >> 1) You're redirected to submit your patches into bugzilla
 > >>    in the future, but your patch is accepted by the *private*
 > >>    only mailing list, and may or may not be applied in the
 > >>    future whenever someone gets around to looking at it, if ever.
 > >
 > >Could the [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing lists not
 > >be automatically forwarded to bugzilla patches ?
 >
 > I asked that a while ago, but nobody seems to know if/how bugzilla can
 > get input via email.

Processing and redirecting emails to fixes@ and patches@ to bugzilla
would not really solve the problem at all. There has been no fixed format
for submission these lists: patches are submitted as diffs, as diffs
contained in tarballs as full sourcecode tarballs or even only as a
description what to change in the source code. I'm sure there are
plenty more ways.
We will never be able to process this and submit it to bugzilla in
a sane way.
One argument for bugzilla  was that it would help to reduce the
workload of the the developers as the developer could communicate with
the patch submitter and ask him to make fixes to the patch himself.

However what we currently see is the contrary: It is not even possible
to easily extract fixes and patches from the bug submission.
Users seem to have a hard time to correctly set up the fields in
bugzilla. Also they seem to have difficulties to make attachments and
if they do they frequently set the file type wrong.
We may have to have a second instance of bugzilla just for patch and
fix submission which comes with different frontend with less degrees
of freedom and 'tags' the submission as a patch.
It should also contain instructions to submit patches only - no
tarballs and no complete source files and attach these patches - not
submit them in the discription.

During the bugzilla flamewar we had in January a lot of people
advocating it here talked about how much experience they had setting
up a bugzilla.
Now since we have this bugzilla these people are invited to help
our bugzilla maintainer to customize it to best suite our needs.

Egbert.