On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 01:40:18PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 11 de março de 2013 16.54.31, Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> > Why not? I agree that QtQuick is usually the way to go for implementing
> > mobile UI, but that doesn't exclude QtWidgets for any reasons a developer
> > may wish to use it. When we did the BlackBerry port, we did implement a
> > BlackBerry style, which could achieve native look and feel decently. This
> > comes really handy when you are porting apps from the desktop.
>
> > I think implementing a native iOS style wouldn't be hard. I don't know much
> > about iOS development, but if what Jake says about being able to render
> > controls to off-screen buffers, then it should be completely feasible.
>
> That will give you the right static look, but not the feel. In order to
> implement the right feel, with animations, shadows, etc., you need a lot
> more.
> If things glow, slide, bounce, it will be extremely hard to implement with
> QtWidgets.
It is *harder* than with QML - but possible. And I don't think it is that
hard. I am not saying that is easy, though. We used QtScroller
(kineticscroller) for instance, to implement smooth list view animation. If
you can render using the native API to an off-screen buffer, than it is
doable. I would even risk to say that hard is not the proper adjective here,
but instead laborious. To implement things like glowing, one can for instance
implement an event handler inside the style that monitors mouse events and
does the job of animating. Well at least it worked well for BlackBerry but I
can't say anything about Mac since I don't know the API.

If someone decides to give it a shot, though, I would be happy to help. Having
said that, I agree QML components are the most sensible way to go.

Just my $0.02

Rafael

--
Rafael Roquetto | rafael.roque...@kdab.com | Software Engineer