On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:58 PM, Frank Hemer <fr...@hemer.org>
 wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 March 2013 04:46:43 joao morgado wrote:
>> I really don't understand why QtWidgets are not suitable for mobile
>> plataforms. What is the technicall reason ? Following the Qt "code once
>> deploy everywhere" I have apps with pratically the same code for desktop,
>> symbian and Blackberry. Sometimes the requirements for technicall /
>> engineering apps are just to have minimal, simple, accurate, funtional app
>> interface instead of a shiny, full of glow interface, and thats perflectly
>> achievable with Widgets. As for iOS style, I think it could be done for
>> mobile the same way it is done for desktop, even if it's not 100% native.
>
> Indeed - even though there a some issues to be taken into account (screensize
> etc). I fully agree with you.
>
> I have a (huge) application developed for any kind of device - with a really
> long product livecycle - which was initially designed to support multiple
> screen sizes as well as different mobile devices (tablets and such) and I see
> absolutely no reason for not using this approach. Especially in case where
> the
> usability and way of usage are defined off the default road: i.e. having an
> application private style and usage metaphors.
>
> Frank@

Note that you _can_ use QtWidgets if you want to. This works, and we support
it. If this solves things for you, all is good.

But writing fluid interfaces using widgets is time consuming and laborious. For
sure, some developers don't care about creating fluid interfaces. That simply
means they have a relaxed approach to native look and feel for their app in the
first place.

To me it looks like app developers in iOS wants their apps to be fluid and
shiny. And not only do we want Qt/iOS to be a framework for writing such
applications, we want it to be the best choice on the market. And we simply
think QML is a better technology to meet those needs, which explains why we
don't focus the iOS development around styling up widgets. How to best support
QML controls with a style that blends nicly into iOS, is yet to be decided.

-Richard (Qt/iOS team)