On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Brandon Friedman wrote:

> Just want to ask a few question about setting up web-apps using MySQL
> and php:
>
> 1)For all applications I create an i-bay and unzip my files to the
> html directory.

There are likely to be security problems with that configuration. It is
usually good practice to put web-app files where the web server does not
allow viewing of the source code.

> When I configure my application to use MySQL should I
> create a user for each app to control each database or should I use
> root for all my databases?

It is a good idea to create a MySQL user for each app, and set a unique
password for each such user.

> 2)The root password is found in the etc/openldap/whatever.pw file
> right? Can I and should I change this password? Will it effect
> webmail?

Why should you change it? With the new MySQL configuration, you don't even
need to know about the password, as root can add tables without explicit
use of the password (mysql looks it up directly from /root/.my.cnf).

  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada