At 18:57 14/11/2001, Des Dougan wrote:
>I will make the template change to use .profiles and see what happens (as
>I already have a Win 98 box set up, I can test profiles on both). If I get
>to it, I'll report back what I find.

I brought my Win 2K box up on my test LAN. I made a dumb mistake firstly -
changed the workgroup name instead of adding the mitel-networks test domain
name. Before I realized what I'd done, I tested that I could access shares
but (obviously) couldn't get the netlogon.bat to run. Eventually the penny
dropped, and I tried to access the domain. When I hit "OK" in the network
settings dialog, I got a dialog box asking for a user ID and password to
connect to the domain. When I tried any of the test user IDs I've set up, I
got an error that the account was a machine account and to use a local or
group account (or words to that effect). If I tried a non-defined account
(such as the local administrator account), I got the error you'd expect -
that the account isn't defined.

I haven't been following very closely the recent thread that Darrell was
prominent in, but I had understood that the 5.1 alpha included all the
stuff agreed in the thread. Am I doing something wrong, missing a step, or
do we have a problem here?

One last question: is there functionality in Samba (now or perhaps planned)
to automatically build the local user account when the user first logs into
the domain? Is that what winbind will do when it's complete?

Des