> One last question: is there functionality in Samba (now or
> perhaps planned)
> to automatically build the local user account when the user first
> logs into
> the domain?
This has nothing to do with Samba.  Microsoft would need to implement this
functionality client side.  However, I don't think it's a good idea to have
identical local and network accounts as they are two separate entities.  I
can have a local username "greg" with password "zartman" and logon to the
local machine just fine.  I could also have the network username "greg" with
the password "samba" and logon to the same workstation with the samba
password.  At a minimum, this can create confusion.

In my office, I have one and only one local account on all machine and that
is the administrator account.  Since I use local profiles, all of my users
can always log onto their local machines even if the network is down.

>Is that what winbind will do when it's complete?
No, winbind maps windows user accounts and groups to unix user accounts and
groups.  This allows you to join a samba server to a pure windows domain and
participate like any other windows client.

Regards,

Greg J. Zartman