Hi,

I wouldn't recommend on having a root-entry in smbpasswd.
Why not use an entry in /etc/smbusers  (or /etc/samba/smbusers) for this?

BTW, mine looks like this:

#smbusers for essg
; !=stop processing if user found,
!admin = @admin administrator Administrator
#for machine-account creation and printers
root = admin

Bart