Apparently you missed the several posts that Charlie Brady and Dan York made
in regards to the 2.4.x kernel upgrade and ext3 support.  This post was
simply a restatement of something that has already been discussed.  Bottom
line, there are not enough freely available masq modules to maintain SME's
present functionality as a gateway if it moves to a 2.4.x series kernel.  Is
this really news to anyone that has been following this list?

> Now, perhaps we can take this a step further. Many other distros are being
> used for firewalling, including firewall centered distros
> (clarkconnect among
> others), that successfully use the 2.4 kernel. There are plenty
> of examples
> of distros that have moved early and successfully to the these
> newer kernels,
> including manged server distros.

The step further (to do it right) would be to help develop/port the
necessary masq modules to the 2.4.x kernel.  This seems to be the key to get
Mitel to move the SME server to the 2.4.x kernel.

> It would be nice if e-smith/Mitel could give us a time-line of when these
> discussed and/or needed changes are planned to take place. If there is no
> reasonable answer forthcoming, please do not spend the time to reply.

Mitel has no idea when third party developers will have working masq modules
ready for production use, and I highly doubt that any road map they present
will include them developing these modules.  Why can't we as developers work
on some of these modules to help out the community instead of expecting
Mitel to do it for us?

David M. Brown
Frick, Frick & Jetté Architects
[EMAIL PROTECTED]