On Friday, February 08, 2002, w9ya wrote:

> > > Now, perhaps we can take this a step further. Many other distros are
> > > being used for firewalling, including firewall centered distros
> > > (clarkconnect among
> > > others), that successfully use the 2.4 kernel. There are plenty
> > > of examples
> > > of distros that have moved early and successfully to the these
> > > newer kernels,
> > > including manged server distros.
> >
> > The step further (to do it right) would be to help develop/port the
> > necessary masq modules to the 2.4.x kernel.  This seems to be the key to
> > get Mitel to move the SME server to the 2.4.x kernel.
>
> The point is, many distros have migrated from 2.2 to 2.4 and have this
> functionality. I consider many of these to have done it right.
> Other distros
> have created answers to their unique or not so unique challenges
> with this
> not so 2.4.x kernel series. I am now asking when e-smith/Mitel plans to.

Could you be a little more specific here?  Perhaps you could share with us
specifically which other distros have this functionality, so we could try to
track down how they accomplished it and look for info as to how we can
incorporate that into the SME server and gateway.  I know that several
people here would be willing to look, given a place.

David M. Brown
Frick, Frick & Jetté Architects
[EMAIL PROTECTED]