On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Darrell May wrote:

> Charlie Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > I'm not sure that building such an iso will help things along much.
>
> Charlie, the goal is to keep everything current and make the install
> process as easy as it should be.

That may be your goal but I don't believe that you can or should say that
it is everyone's goal.

In a few specific cases there have been useful updates to new versions
(apache, samba, PHP, IMP), but I haven't noticed anyone concerned that,
say, SME5 has fileutils 4.0x-3 whereas RedHat 7.2 has 4.1-4. From our
point of view, "keeping everything current" means having a constantly
moving target, and either much more testing, or more risk of instability.
We want neither of those.

> It would have been preferred for Mitel to simply issue a revised iso,
> maybe even a monthly iso, but this did not happen.

You may prefer it, but your wishes don't pay our wages.

> I think many of us listened to statement that said 'if you build it, we
> just might incorporate it'.  Unfortunately we are not seeing this happen.

No, the statement is accurate, and you are seeing it happen. You are
building things, and Mitel incorporates some of them. How could it be any
other way?

> Wouldn't it be nice to have an iso that does all the above?  This is so
> easy to accomplish and something I do personally already.  I build a custom
> iso for my own installs as I know others do as well.

I'm sure that some people would be very happy if you made your custom ISOs
available.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739