On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:54, Darrell May wrote:
> just a few examples....
>
> I think many of us listened to statement that said 'if you build it, we
> just might incorporate it'.  Unfortunately we are not seeing this happen.
> Many excellent contribs await incorporating into the base iso.

Maybe so, but on this one, I've got to disagree - Mitel incorporated your
updated "Workgroup" panel into SME5.1b1 (b3?) didn't they?  It was a fairly
simple update that didn't break anything by introducing it, so maybe that's
why it was accepted - it required little (or no) testing and introduced no
real security holes.

> So we are forced download and add as an example, Dan's PHP and IMP and then
> we visit e-smith.org and we download a contrib from here and a few from
> there and then we visit my site and download a few more and we manually
> install of the above and after an hour or two we finally have our new SME
> 5.1.2 ready to go.

*This* could be fixed by getting a definative HOWTO for blades supplied by
Mitel.  It's been promised to us ever since SMEv5 was released, but I'm yet
to see it anywhere.  Anytime anyone asks, we get a response that "really,
it's quite simple, and the HOWTO will be available in a couple of weeks".
Not really good enough when SMEv5 was released something like 6 months ago,
especially if it *is* as simple as we're told.  There are no clear guidelines
for creating a blade that's not going to break anything, and (more
importantly) the procedure to follow to submit a blade to show up as
"unsupported", which seems ideal for things like PHP/IMP upgrades that simply
require the download of a number of RPMs and installing them.