Sendmail insecurity is an ancient and out-of-date myth (thus explaining
the fact that is still the most prevalent SMTP server on the 'net). It
is very secure as long as you are willing to take the time to learn it.
Unfortunately, as I'm sure some of you are well aware, the "Bat Book" is
about as thick as the Old Testament making the learning curve a little
steep 8-(

As an aside, I have been curious for a long time as to why SME/E-Smith
chose to use Redhat but did not choose to use Redhat's file system
layout, thus making add-ons and upgrades dificult for
non-UNIX/non-Redhat afficionados.

I perfectly well understand the chroot DNS and other chroot packages,
but add-ons for Apache and a few others are always a major agravation
for the non-RPM builder.

Or swapping qmail for sendmail, for example.

Please don't misunderstand me here, I am just curious as to whether
there was a technical reason for this decision, or whether it was pure
marketing (particularly since I have always found the qmail system a
little confusing, and grew up on sendmail)

Regards,

John C.