On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Juan Jesus Prieto wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> El Jue 26 Sep 2002 16:09, escribiste:
> > Create one alias file:
> >
> >     ~alias/.qmail-subcompany-default
> >
> > which contains
> >
> >     | forward $[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>   How does qmail work here?. Will qmail replace $DEFAULT by the respective
> user?. This solution is very fine!, thanks Peter.

Yes.

See

    man -M /var/qmail/man qmail-command

and search for DEFAULT

>   Another solution is to include the line:
>
>       sub.company.com:sub.company.com
>
>   in the file /var/qmail/control/smtproutes (easy to make a control panel).
> When a mail comes to the central server, after the obtusesmtp checks the mail
> and RAV scan it, finally qmail will apply the control rules and delegate this
> email to the smtp server in sub.company.com. Is it correct?.

You only need the explicit smtproutes entry if you cannot resolve an
MX record or host name for sub.company.com. If that's the case you'll
need

    sub.company.com:host.company.com

where you can resolve the IP address for host.company.com, or

    sub.company.com:[1.2.3.4]

where you cannot resolve the IP address, so you explicitly set it. The
square brackets are important.

> > then create a custom template for /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains which
> > contains the following line:
> >
> >     sub.company.com:alias-subcompany
> > Then mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] will be handled correctly.
>
>   Yes, I like this way ;). Another question: Is it necessary to rebuild the
> cdb file?.

If you mean /var/qmail/users/cdb, then yes, always. If you mean some
other file then which one. The only cdb file that's part of qmail is
/var/qmail/users/cdb.

But we weren't talking about /var/qmail/users/cdb, were we?

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"