* Michael Tänzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-05-08 05:04:07]:

> In the last few weeks I've done some work on the website. While
> translating it, there were some things that struck me so I changed them.
> But our site is still far from perfect. It lacks a attractive design and
> some features that would be quite handy (e.g. select the language by
> hand, RSS-Feeds, a search) but are a little bit difficult to implement
> (at least if we want to do it in a safe and efficient way) or at least I
> don't have the time and skills to do it.

Select language by hand is trivial to implement and we can delegate the search
to google so that's trivial too... okay RSS would require some work

> I also noticed, that the format
> we use to save the content (it's just a php file containing HTML which
> is included in some kind of very simple template) leaves room for
> optimization (for both, the author who needs to write valid HTML and
> know about the things he can do with it (not all of us do know how to
> write clean and valid HTML (I do not exclude myself from this
> statement)), and the user, who might get malformed HTML or ugly pages
> because the browser has some bugs the author didn't know of). We also
> have the problem, that our site consists of many different components:
> there's the homepage, the wiki, emu, SVN, which looks very fragmented.
>
> We could address most of this problems by using a CMS (content
> management system).

It's not the first time it's being debated...

> Of course a CMS is not a Swiss Army knife for
> everything and it does raise several issues: is it fast enough to
> survive a slashdot, can we use our already existent database, how can we
> migrate, is it safe?

Don't worry about performances for now...

At the moment we are using mantis as a BTS, Wikka as a wiki-engine, a
home-maid website and *loads* of custom scripting for almost
everything... How do you plan to migrate existing content ?

Can a CMS have some level of history ? All the tools we use have
native versioning; that's a feature we don't want to loose.