Ian Clarke schrieb:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Victor Denisov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  | consider a migration seriously. If it was up to me, we would use Trac
>>  | and only Trac (for the website, wikki and bug-tracker).
>>
>>  A quick vote of confidence for Trac. It's a *very* good piece of
>>  software, and its Wiki<->Tickets<->SVN integration is amazing. We've
>>  used it for three major projects now and had nothing but *very* positive
>>  experience.
>
> Trac isn't a bad bugtracker, probably better than Mantis, although has
> some conspicuous limitations, such as no dependencies between bugs.
>
> That being said, I don't think Trac is designed to be a CMS, and
> frankly I don't think its appearance is enticing as a "user facing"
> website, its even worse than the current Freenet website.  If we did
> use it, it would require some major re-theming.

ACK

> I think we should look to commercial and well-funded open source
> projects for inspiration about how to make our website enticing for
> first-time visitors, while still providing the depth of information we
> need to convey.
>
> http://getfirefox.com/ is good because its colorful, inviting, and the
> "call to action" is very clear, you don't have to spend much time
> looking for that download link!  Now, its tone may be a little too
> in-your-face for Freenet, but there are things we can learn from it.

getfirefox is drupal driven

> I'm a big fan of David Watanabe's work, both the software he writes,
> and the websites he designs for them.  I'd recommend looking at:
>
>   http://xtorrent.com/
>   http://www.inquisitorx.com/safari/
>   http://www.acquisitionx.com/

The design is cool, but it's a little bit too trendy in my opinion (it's
ok for stylish apple addons, but not suitable for freenet, as it's
supposed to be secure software, not another design wonder). Also some
users who don't have the bandwith would really be annoyed by the large
pictures.
Apart from that there's not much documentation on the websites, no
navigation menu (we would definitely need one, as we have more than
three pages to offer).
I don't think we could apply a similar design to freenet.

> You could argue that all of those things have it easy, because most
> people understand what those things do, they don't need an elaborate
> explanation.  But look at Gnome's website:
>
>   http://www.gnome.org/
>
> It is clean, simple, yet if you need to you can quickly dig down to a
> vast wealth of information.

Gnome uses Plone as it's CMS. This may be not the best choice for us
though, as Plone is Phyton based, but that's something nextgens might
know better than me.

Follow the blue rabbit - The Freenet Project - http://freenetproject.org/