Am Samstag 04 April 2009 22:50:11 schrieb Matthew Toseland:
> Agreed, however we need to be careful as we can be sued for any
code which is copyrighted by somebody else; if we can provide the
would-be litigant with the identity of the committer, we don't have
this problem.

Sure.

That's why someone needs to maintain a frenet-only pseudonymous
version of the repository where all pseudonymous contributions can
be gathered. :)

That pseudonymous version can then contain additional features, so
users have a rason for switching to it.

We just need to find a way to make sure that this pseudonymous
repository doesn't get compromised.

I think it would be nice to do this as repository which can be updated
only if at least 60% of a specific group of people agree.

Ideally with also the option of adding new people to the group if
enough people agree?

Example: Assume that we have 5 trusted maintainers. If one of them
now wants to push some changes to the reference repository, at
least two others have to agree to get the new revision into freenet.

If another maintainer joins the group, they need 4 people for pushing
code online, and if two leave the group, two people suffice. (joining
and leaving would need to be done as greoup decision - needs 3 of 5
for example).

It would be possible to implement this check decentrally: Each head
must be signed by a majority of the keys which are saved in freenet
to be accepted locally, else the foreign repository will be marked as
compromised.

If the list of trusted keys is part of the repository, it will be possible to
update them.

Ideally there should also be a mechanism for backup locations and
changing them. For example this could be done by having a list of
them in the repository. When the main repository gets
compromised, freenet should check the backups for updates.

Adding in a few safety checks (always need backup locations and a
minimum number of maintainers), this looks to me like it should
work.

Are there any weeknesses in this scheme (except the possibility that
the majority of maintainers overlooks some bad code)?

Best wishes,
Arne
--
-- Ein Würfel System: http://1w6.org - einfach saubere (Rollenspiel-)