Open Whisper Systems has developed a Gradle plugin for verifying hard
coded checksums against dependencies.[1] They are also another example
of a project using a custom Maven repo hosted on Github.[2]

-Charles

[1] https://github.com/WhisperSystems/gradle-witness
[2] https://github.com/WhisperSystems/maven