On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Florent Daigniere <
nextg...@freenetproject.org> wrote:

> > Dependency management, and more importantly, Maven (and more recently
> > Gradle) have become pretty-much industry standards, almost no new
> > Java
> > project uses Ant.  If we want to attract new contributors, the fact
> > that we
> > have an outdated build system will be a turn-off for them.
>
> You can push further and ask, are there new projects written in java?
> And the answer is very likely no; that's not what the cool kids are
> doing nowadays.

Java is one of the world's most popular programming languages.  There are
plenty of new projects being written in Java.  Every single Android app for
starters.  And I don't advocate using Gradle because it's what the "cool
kids" use, but because it simplifies things for developers, particularly
getting things set up initially.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modernizing the build system... I just
> doubt that it should be the priority of the few people who still
> contribute.

Perhaps if it weren't for the outdated build system we would have more than
a few people still contributing.

> We all know Ant well enough to build freenet as is.

I'm not concerned about people who are already comfortable with the
existing build system, I'm concerned about future contributors.

> We've reached the stage where we hardly have the resources to merge
> what's contributed (out of the three examples you've picked, we had two
> of them on non-merged branches - the website and travis configs)...
> That goes to show how resource bound we currently are. Changing the
> build system is even more involved... as it entails updating the
> release scripts (that should also be gradle-ified).

All the more reason to do what we can to make it easier for new
contributors to contribute.

Ian.