On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 10:13:07AM -0400, Ian wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:26 AM, <nextg...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > That's far from the only danger...
> >
> > If we make "building freenet" depend on "running freenet" to "download
> > freenet over freenet", I'd like someone to explain to me how it can work
> > without trusting someone else's binaries.
> >

> Can you explain to me how anyone can use a modern computer for anything
> without trusting someone else's binaries?  Let's live in reality here.

The people who insist on building freenet (and everything else) from source are
likely the same who insit on "not downloading the dependencies insecurely from
the internet"

What I am saying is that we should explicitely make it a non-goal and let
$peopleWhoCare deal with it (by installing Tails).

> Regardless, the top priority (as far as this part of the discussion is
> concerned) is to migrate the project over to a modern build system, most
> likely Gradle.  Support for downloading dependencies from Freenet (or
> through Tor) would be nice but should be way down the list of priorities.

Gradle uses ant internally to "do the build" (if you manage to use it without
ant, I'd like to know how). If you don't need dependency management, a 3 line
gradle script is enough to "call ant" and provide the newbee developer
experience you're after. Is that what we want?

If not, look around. You'll see that most of our dependencies are long-dead
upstream and that none of them provide fancy repositories we can pull stuff
from... So we will end up hosting them, just like we do now with freenet-ext.jar

Florent