On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Matthew Toseland <mj...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> The price paid to become part
> of the network infrastructure is mainly a deterrent to large scale
> attacks, rather than a means of raising revenue.
>
> Thoughts?

I read this as "The price paid to become part of the network is mainly
a deterrent to actual users, thinning the network until three-letter
agencies with nine-figure budgets don't even need large-scale attacks
to succeed."

The problem lies in your assumptions:

> 3. Opennet is not secure unless users pay for introduction.

Money is easy for attackers (e.g. groups or organizations), and hard
for individuals. I fail to see how Opennet would become safer with
payments.

That said, I'll be happy to fork the code and reinstate a free network
(free as both libre and gratis) once tunnels are implemented.
Insecure? Maybe. But still as secure as Opennet with payments, yet
free.

— Bert