On 05/26/2016 10:02 AM, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 6:55 AM, Steve Dougherty st...@asksteved.com wrote:
> I can understand if you're upset that Arne does not agree with you, but
> I don't understand what you're doing here. Do you expect that if you
>
> berate Arne he will come around?
>

> I expect that we can have a discussion based on facts and logic, during which
> we
> can disagree without being disagreeable, and after that discussion arrive at a
> logical conclusion. This is how healthy teams operate.

That's not what was happening.

> You are being disrespectful. I'm not at
> all suggesting that you aren't allowed to disagree, or be honest, but
>
> you seem to go about being honest by also being hurtful.
>

> I do not believe I have been disrespectful, I have stated where I disagree
> with
> Arne and why. Arne began his email with an ultimatum that he would not use
> Google Docs to participate in the process I'm trying to create. Was that not
> disrespectful of my efforts to try to create a democratic process for
> prioritizing our roadmap?

> Am I not permitted to criticise Arne, but it is fine for him to nitpick
> relatively trivial aspects of what I'm trying to do?

Yes, this is what I mean. The critical distinction here is that between
Arne and Arne's ideas. Discussing the ideas is the goal. What you see as
Arne's failings as a person are not relevant to what I hope can be a
discussion, not a debate or argument.

> I feel like you are
> approaching this with the goal of shutting down those who disagree with
>
> you, instead of collaborating and discussing with others to arrive at a
>
> reasonable solution to a problem.
>

> I'm trying to create a democratic process for prioritizing our roadmap so that
> we do not squander this $25k donation. Arne appears intent on fighting me at
> every step of the way, his refusal to use Google Docs being just one example.
> We have now spent hours of our time debating the Google Docs issue with people
> instead of advancing the project, which must be really hilarious to any
> opponent
> of our project that's watching us. It reminds me of the film “The Life of
> Brian”, in which the People's Front of Judea are so busy fighting with the
> Judean People's Front that they forget about the Romans who are supposed to be
> their common enemy.
> I also note Steve that you do not even try to address the substance of the
> disagreement, focusing exclusively on my tone. Do you agree with Arne that we
> shouldn't use Google Docs? If so, what are your reasons?

I don't want to elaborate on this here because it detracts from my
primary point of discussing discussion.

> Can we not have a debate based on facts and arrive at a logical conclusion at
> the end of that debate? That's how things used to work, and it worked pretty
> well.

This sounds good, and would work well if it was what happened. The mail
I responded to had a reasonable first paragraph discussing the idea at
hand, and then started accusations about Arne as a person.

On 05/26/2016 10:27 AM, Ian Clarke wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Florent Daigniere <
> nextg...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Btw,
>>
>> I also disagree with using google-docs; the reason being: it requires
>> registration to a 3rd party service whereas the alternatives (wiki or
>> piratepad) don't.
>>

> In that case you will be pleased to learn that Google Docs does not
> require that you sign in to a Google account unless you require this
> when you create the "share" link, which I did not.
>

> (Did I deliver that disagreement too harshly?).

I have no objections to the tone or content of this. It discusses only
the idea and does not get into how having the idea might reflect on
Florent. Thank you.

- Steve