On 15 Aug 2006, at 12:17, Matthew Toseland wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:50:11AM -0700, Ian Clarke wrote:
>> I did, and you didn't respond to my point.  Why do you want to force
>> users to continue to use the current insecure, centralized, and
>> hideously inconvenient opennet for a second longer than a more
>> secure, decentralized, and convenient opennet option is available?
>
> Politically, because the opennet is insecure and centralized,

It is far more secure than #freenet-refs, and it is no more
centralized than Freenet is already given that the software all comes
from a single source.

> and
> because it is of no value whatsoever in hostile environments,

In which case users will opt to create darknet connections, so the
availability of opennet won't hurt

> and
> because the darknet will continue to expand, much of it (an increasing
> part of it) true darknet connections

You are dreaming.  I would be surprised if more than 2% of the
connections in the current so-called darknet are between people that
actually know and trust each-other.  Why won't you accept that the
current situation isn't a darknet by any stretch of the imagination,
it is a centralized, extremely cumbersome opennet that probably
doesn't conform to a small-world topology?  Failing to give people a
proper opennet option is only prolonging the current unacceptable
situation while significantly inhibiting Freenet's adoption.

> , especially as we sort out the
> current performance problems. (Which will be much easier to deal with
> while we are still testing darknet).

Oh?  How do you know that the lack of a small world topology in the
connections created through #freenet-refs isn't contributing to the
problem?  As I see it, opennet may well remove a potential source of
these problems.

> Technically, because I'm convinced that opennet will make a lot of
> things much harder.

And yet you have provided no support for this claim.  I have pointed
out that opennet is simply another way for people to establish
connections, no more likely (indeed significantly less likely) to
cause problems than #freenet-refs and other such mechanisms, and much
better than those approaches in almost every measurable way
(usability, scalability, user friendliness etc).

> Fortunately we will be able to simulate it in the
> not too distant future. We definitely should not deploy opennet
> without
> simulating it, any more than we should deploy token passing without
> sorting out its theoretical problems in simulation.

I have no objecting to waiting for a simulation provided this
precondition doesn't become an excuse to procrastinate.  Opennet must
be one of our highest priorities.

Ian.

Ian Clarke: Co-Founder & Chief Scientist Revver, Inc.
phone: 323.871.2828 | personal blog - http://locut.us/blog