Le samedi 16 mai 2009 20:10:00, Matthew Toseland a ?crit :
> On Saturday 16 May 2009 15:02:19 Thomas Sachau wrote:
> > Matthew Toseland schrieb:

> > > done" line (intentinally or

> > > can just stop the wizard

> > > If you know enough to skip the wizard you should shutdown the node,
> > > edit
>
> the
>
> > > config file and tell the node you have done the wizard!
> >
> > Is there a need for editing the config file? You can set everything with
> > the
>
> config section too, but
>
> > without the "i want to do it myself", you cant disable the wizard from
> > the
>
> GUI.

> then

> > > they

> way:

> did
>
> > > not happen until now,

> time
>
> > > since Gentoo as source

> > > No, it is a goal to package it with private repositories. Having a
> > > debian package that is frozen for 3 years is not useful at the present
> > > time.

> for
>
> > > windows (both in the

> decide
>
> > > to show the warning or

> > > Well, we could do something similar for *nix, no? Launch a suitable
>
> privacy
>
> > > enabled browser when the user runs the browse-freenet script?
> >
> > You dont know the user system. While windows user systems may be similar
>
> each others, this is not
>
> > true for linux. Where would you place that script? How would you check
> > which
>
> browser the user wants
>
> > to use? This idea looks more like the way user handling is done on
> > windows
>
> or ubuntu: Expect him to
>
> > know nothing and try to do everything for him. Might be nice for
> > beginners
>
> and if it works, but
>
> > makes things worse for experienced users, who want to do it different and
>
> also makes it harder, if
>
> > there are problems.
> > Imho you cant beat stupidity. Either users read a message and act the
> > right
>
> way or they dont. You
>
> > cannot prevent them from doing bad things.
> >
> > Additionally, Gentoo is about choice, if there is a warning, the user can
>
> choose, with a forcing
>
> > script, there is no choice, which is a bad idea for this philosophy,
>
> therefor i vote against such a
>
> > script for linux.
>
> Well, we already have a Browse Freenet script on all three platforms.
> Currently it detects browsers that we know about. You don't have to use it
> if you don't want to. But we should extend it to use incognito mode if
> possible, and to favour browsers with such support. I dunno how we can
> determine whether such a mode works with the particular installed version
> though...

I don't see the point forcing the user to choose. I don't see the point
displaying a warning neither btw :

should we detect all the potentials security threats (or unused benefits) on
the user's system ?

Things like that are just waste of time. What would be good instead is a
documentation about how to have a secure environment in which you can run
freenet, and display a link to it during the wizard (or display the howto
directly).

Additional code to detect if the user use freenet in a secure environment is
just a waste of time. Good documentation isn't.