On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Matthew Toseland
<toad at amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 October 2009 20:39:48 Juiceman wrote:

>> > Sure

>> > Well, we should find out which things are hard to simplify : are they
>> > essential
>> > to use Freenet ?
>>
>> I started coding a "help" servlet for Freenet, accessible if you go to
>> http://127.0.0.1:8888/help
>> but became discouraged when I had to start worrying about licensing
>> issues with copy pasting text from the various Freenet wikis. ?My
>> original idea was to use the l10n language files to contain the
>> information and allow translation, but it is an ugly kludge and would
>> only allow translation of English to other languages keeping the exact
>> same formatting and wouldn't allow other languages to be expanded
>> beyond without editing the code of Freenet itself and not just a text
>> file.
>
> Licensing is a pain. However, we are making a new wiki, and we can simply
> declare prominently that the wiki is licensed under a particular
> GPL-compatible license? Of course then we can't use the stuff on the old
> wiki, which has no such license declaration. Thoughts?

A lot of the text on the old wiki was written by a small number of
people.  We can move most of it to a CC license simply by asking the
authors.  Consider this permission to use any of my contributions to
the Freenet wiki under GPL v2 or later, or CC-BY-SA 3.0.  (If you want
something else instead, ask, I doubt I'd have a problem.)

Evan Daniel