So although I tried to keep the user avatars as primary elements in the UI,
in the end I will change my vote to the event based layout.

The first problem was the grouping we have. If we were to display
individual entries for each user that layout might work, since we would not
have the generic group avatar.
But this was not the main problem.

The main problem is scalability. Since we need to display the event and
application, having also the avatar was putting the application icon as a
tertiary element. Was very small and not readable at all.

Today I was trying to represent how an application upgrade would look like.
You can check http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Notification
sImprovements9xTypes#HApplicationsevents

So what I am proposing is a mix of the 2 layouts, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Notifica
tionsImprovements9xTypes/event_app_primary.png

For normal pages the event will be displayed as primary; while for
application events the application is primary. I made this change taking
into consideration Vincent's notes about confusion of knowing who sent the
event. I think this way is easier to read and understand from where the
event is coming from.

So let me know what think about this latest layout.
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Notifica
tionsImprovements9xTypes/event_app_primary_extension.png

Avatars are still present, but not primary. Applications are displayed.
Prototype at https://jsfiddle.net/risherry/t1nv2uoz/

Thanks,
Caty