Mårten Svantesson wrote:

> Clifford Meece <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >   I'm brand new to Dia, so please let me know if I'm treading on ground
> > already covered.
> >   I would like to contribute to the dia project by adding data modeling
> > support with an 'export to SQL' option.  I may even build in the ability
> > to go straight to the SQL server to create tables.  Initially I would
> > like to support MySQL, but eventually add support for other RDBS later.
> >    My initial thoughts were to take the existing code for UML support
> > and modify it for an SQL library.
> >    Also, I can offer some website space for the Dia project if it is
> > needed.
> >
> > Other areas that I would like to contribute are:
> > 1. Automatic export from an SQL database of network infrastructure data
> > to a Dia network Diagram.  This will tie in to an existing project that
> > I am working on.
>
> I'm actually working on something like this. The first goal is to make
> it possible to place table description from databases as objects in
> Dia. It's MySql I'm working with and the idea is that dia will get
> the table description from the database in real time. The information
> to connect to the database will be saved in the file (if desired),
> enabling Dia to update the table descriptions on loading of the file.

Sounds good.  Also consider the possibility that you have a Database
with network infrastructure data(switches, routers, IP addresses, uplink
ports) and Dia could automagically construct a diagram from that info.
In this scenario dia is still pulling from a database, but it is not
drawing a picture of the _tables_ , but of the _data_ in them.

I think the first step is to get some Dia objects that look like SQL
tables and can be filled with objects that represent SQL columns that
have SQL datatypes.

We should borrow heavily from the UML library for this, because the SQL
tables will look very similar.  They would just have a slightly
different look, and the connectors would be different.

Then we write an export filter that would create an SQL command file for
each table object.

I'll work on the Dia->SQL side, if you want to handle the
SQL->Dia side.

MySQL is my preferred platform as well, so we're all set there.

I guess we need to decide exactly what the XML version of the SQL tables
would be.