Thanks to everyone who replied. Norbert Bollow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  >>I think this is a very important point:  Sometimes it takes only a
>very small amount of (wisely-directed) effort to achieve victories
>of local significance.  This is particularly significant given that
>such relatively small, local victories are an essential precondition
>for having any hope of any large-scale trend-setting breakthroughs.
>
>>>For example, I would suggest that in any and all informatics projects
>(not only web development, but also of purely internal informatics
>systems) the question should be raised whether accessibility concerns
>are taken into consideration, and if not, why not.

This is a commitment I would like to see everyone make -- for every
online or tech-focused project you are on, ask, "Does this project
meet the standards promoted by W3C? Will this online tool be
accessible for someone who who has a sight-impairment? Someone with
hearing impairments? Someone with limited hand movement? Someone
using an assistive technology tool?"

You will get a lot of arguments like "I don't think we serve that
many people who have disabilities" or "that would be too expensive."
You need to be prepared to address those arguments. Sites like
http://www.w3.org/ and http://www.knowbility.org can help. But if
just every person on the Digital Divide Network would ask those
questions for any tech project they were involved with right now and
in the future, commercial or nonprofit, imagine what an effect that
would have.

--
Ms. Jayne Cravens MSc

http://www.coyotecommunications.com